Transfer or sublease a pastoral lease

You must get consent from the Minister for Environment to transfer or sublease a pastoral lease.

Subleases can be granted for pastoral purposes, a non-pastoral use with a permit and other activities as prescribed under the regulations.

Read more about the Pastoral Land Act 1992 and non-pastoral uses.

How to apply

To get consent, follow the below steps:

Step 1. Read the guidelines and fill in the form.

Guidelines and form: consent to transfer or sublease DOCX (59.0 KB)
Guidelines and form: consent to transfer or sublease PDF (165.6 KB).

Step 2. Address every item on the vendor and purchaser checklist in the form and attach any supporting documents.

Step 3. Read the maximum holdings guidelines PDF (628.7 KB) if your purchase results in you holding more than 13,000 square kilometres of pastoral land.

Step 4. Pay the fee of 138 revenue units to the Receiver of Territory Monies using cash, cheque, money order or credit card.

Find out more about revenue units.

Step 7. Submit your form and supporting documents by emailing or mailing it to:

Minister for Environment
Pastoral Lease Administration
Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security
PO BOX 496
Palmerston NT 0831


For more information, contact the Pastoral Lease Administration by calling 08 8999 4754 or emailing

Last updated: 12 March 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!