Notice to stop pollution

You may be given a direction to stop pollution, a pollution abatement notice, or a notice to carry out an environmental audit if either:

  • the Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority (NT EPA) believes on reasonable grounds that you have committed or may commit a general environmental offence, or you have failed to follow a general environmental duty
  • you are the owner or occupier of land that is polluted.

All pollution abatement notices are listed on the NT EPA website.

A notice to carry out an environmental audit can be issued to do any of the following:

  • manage waste
  • remediate contamination
  • measure your compliance with environmental law.

Read more on environment performance agreements and compliance plans.

Last updated: 27 January 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.