Lake Evella is located about 540 kilometres east of Darwin and 220 kilometres west of Nhulunbuy.
Formerly Gapuwiyak, the town changed its name to Lake Evella for cultural reasons.
It lies adjacent to Lake Evella and the upper reaches of the Buckingham River, with a population of 1,153 residents.
2017 jobs profile
The 2017 profile highlights:
- there were 166 filled jobs, of which:
- 128 jobs (77%) were filled by Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of 58 jobs from 2014
- 38 jobs (23%) were filled by non-Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of four jobs from 2014
- 48% of employed Aboriginal peoples are working in the private sector
- Aboriginal peoples accounted for 77% of job holders in the town compared to 66% in 2014
- Aboriginal females made up 52% of totalled Aboriginal filled jobs in the town compared to 55% in 2014.
- there were 32 vacant jobs, of which:
- job vacancies as a percentage of jobs increased to 16% in 2017 from 8% in 2014
- job vacancies equate to one in six jobs
- 26 of the vacancies were in the labourer, community and personal service workers and professional areas.
- Retail trade industry is the largest industry employer in 2016 with an increase in 12 filled jobs, followed by public administration and safety.
- Administrative and support services had the highest increase in filled jobs (24) in 2016.
- Training had a decrease in student numbers (33) between 2016 and 2013.
- Arts, entertainment, sports and recreation were the largest training activity sectors in 2016, followed by food processing.
Read the full 2017 job profile report for Lake Evella.
Past job profiles
The community workplace planning guide consists of tools and resources to assist service providers to overcome workforce challenges in remote Aboriginal communities. Find out more about remote community workforce plans.
The community workplace planning guide can be used with the workforce planning template for Gapuwiyak . This template is populated with data from the 2014 remote town job profiles.
Last updated: 07 November 2018
Share this page:URL copied!