Fire safety at home

Who to call after a fire

You should call the people listed below after you have suffered a house fire:

  • family and friends
  • your insurance company
  • your bank and mortgage company
  • your employer
  • your child’s school
  • the post office
  • your electricity supplier
  • the local council
  • your gas supplier.

If you are renting

If you are renting and suffer a house fire, contact your landlord as soon as possible.

If you are a public housing tenant, contact the Department of Housing on (08) 8999 8860.

If you are insured

If you are insured, call your insurance company. You may be covered for emergency accommodation through your policy.

Find out what you need to do, such as secure the house and make a list of damaged items.

Don’t throw away any damaged items in case they need to be assessed.

Talk to your insurance company before arranging any repairs.

If you don’t have insurance

It may take some time to recover if you don't have insurance. If you need help, contact:

  • Centrelink 132 850
  • the Department of Housing (08) 8999 8860
  • The Salvation Army (08) 8944 6000
  • Somerville Community Service (08) 8920 4100
  • your local church.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!