Fire safety at home
If you live in a multi-storey apartment building you must think about how you would respond to a fire.
You may only have one way of getting out of the apartment or the building.
Many older mutli-storied apartments do not have fire sprinklers or automatic fire alarms.
Make sure you are familiar with the evacuation plan for your building and the fire alarm signals. Know what actions to take.
If you need more information, talk to your body corporate representatives.
You need to check your appliances that could cause a fire, such as your clothes dryer or computer.
You should also know:
- what type of fire alarm the building has
- the exits from your own apartment
- the exits from your floor to the outside of the building
- what emergency lighting there is in your building.
What to do in a fire
- always call 000 in an emergency - you may be the first person to have done so
- know where the exits are
- be decisive
- evacuate quickly
- take your apartment key - you may need to return if the way out is blocked by smoke
- if you are trapped, know how to protect yourself for as long as possible.
Last updated: 05 February 2019
Share this page: