Number plates: apply or transfer plates
Fitting your number plates
It is your responsibility to affix your number plate to one of the following:
- both the front and rear of a registered motor vehicle, no more than 1300mm from the ground
- to the rear only of a registered motorcycle, at least 300mm from the ground
- to the rear only of a registered trailer.
The number plates must be affixed to your vehicle so that the characters are in an upright position, parallel to the vehicle's axles.
The characters on the number plate must be visible from a distance of 20 metres at any point within an arc of:
- 15 degrees (from the surface of the number plate) above and 45 degrees to either side of a vehicle that is less than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass
- or 45 degrees (from the surface of the number plate) above and to either side of a vehicle that is more than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass.
You can have your plates replaced or remade if your plates are damaged, lost or stolen.
It is an offence to obscure any character/s of a number plate including any of the following:
- frames placed around number plates
- protective covers on number plates
- tow bars/balls
- bicycle racks
- bull bars
- loads incorrectly carried on the vehicle.
For more information get a copy of V24 Vehicle number plates .
Last updated: 17 February 2020