Apply to use your vehicle for ridesharing
To apply to use your private vehicle for ridesharing services in the Northern Territory (NT) you must follow these steps:
Step 1. Meet the vehicle maintenance requirements.
Step 2. Fill in the online application.
Step 3. Pay the licence fee and insurance.
Read below for further information.
Step 1: Meet the vehicle maintenance requirements
Your vehicle must meet the following requirements:
- comply with all NT ridesharing in-service maintenance standards
- be nine years old or under
- pass a roadworthy inspection no longer than six weeks before you applied for a licence.
Step 2: Fill in the online application
To apply you will need to fill in the commercial vehicle licence online form.
Declaration: sharing of information
The Director of Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport and Registrar of Motor Vehicles is required to collect information for any licences or authorisations held under the Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport Act and Motor Vehicles Act.
The Director/Registrar adheres to the Information Privacy Principles and the Information Act.
By submitting an online application, you consent information being shared between the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and Director of Commercial Passenger (Road) Transport and any Communications and Dispatch Network or Motor Omnibus Operator where necessary, to validate personal details, including currency of authorities to drive a commercial passenger vehicle.
Note: Making a declaration knowing it is false in a material particular is an offence for which you may be fined or imprisoned.
Step 3: Pay the licence fee and insurance
If your vehicle is approved you must pay:
- the $300 annual commercial vehicle licence fee
- additional motor accident compensation insurance part of the vehicle registration.
You will get an email telling you what fees you need to pay and how to pay them.
If your application is successful
If your online application is successful you will get a rideshare Commercial Vehicle Licence certificate and a label to show your vehicle has been approved for ridesharing.
You will need to do the following:
- display the label on your vehicle - read the ridesharing in-service vehicle maintenance standards to find out where the label needs to go
- keep records of all trips you have taken as a ridesharing transport service. For more information read the ridesharing regulations
- ensure drivers are insured for any injury that happens while they are ridesharing
- ensure you and your driver meet approved Communications and Dispatch Networks requirements.