Commercial passenger vehicle criminal history check

You must get a criminal check if you're applying for or renewing a licence to be any of the following:

  • commercial passenger vehicle driver
  • commercial passenger vehicle operator
  • communications and dispatch network operator.

How to apply

To apply for a criminal check follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the online national police check form or go to the Police, Fire and Emergency Services website to download and fill in the SAFE NT national police check form.

Step 2. Take your completed form to your nearest SAFE NT office or police station.

After you apply

Your application for a criminal check may take several weeks to be processed by SAFE NT.

Once your application is processed you will get a National Police Certificate.

Certificates are valid for three months from the date of release.

Submit your police certificate

Once you have received your National Police Certificate, you must submit the original document along with your other application documents to:

  • any MVR office
  • or a police outstation if you're a remote resident.

If your criminal check reveals an offence, your application will be forwarded to the Commercial Passenger Vehicle branch to be assessed against guidelines.

Certain criminal offences, serious traffic offences or a pattern of offending may affect your application. Read about fit and proper assessment and disqualifying offences in the transport industry.

Last updated: 01 December 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!