Heavy vehicle theory test
This page provides information about the heavy vehicle theory test.
You will be tested on your knowledge for all of the following:
- general road rules that apply to all drivers
- specific rules that apply to heavy vehicle drivers
- vehicle dimensions that apply to heavy vehicles
- how to safely secure a load
- tyres, wheels and axle load limits for standard heavy vehicle configurations
- rules that apply to heavy vehicle drivers in other jurisdictions. Read more information about specific rules that apply to driving heavy vehicles interstate.
Learn the road rules
These publications contain all the information you need to pass the heavy vehicle knowledge test.
When you feel confident that you know all the information from the handbooks, you can take a practice heavy vehicle knowledge test.
You can test your knowledge further by reading the complete list of heavy vehicle questions .
About the test
The test has 30 multiple choice questions which are selected from a pool of more than 250 questions.
You must get at least 26 out of 30 questions correct to pass. You can take the practice heavy vehicle knowledge test before you sit your real test.
You may take a test at any MVR office up to one hour before the office closes.
How to take a test
To take a test you should follow these steps:
Step 1. Make sure you are eligible for the relevant heavy vehicle licence.
Step 2. Provide evidence of your ID (your current NT drivers licence).
Step 3. Pay the theory test fee before you can begin.
If you pass and you don't want to immediately apply for your licence, the result will remain valid for 12 months.
Applicants undertaking heavy vehicle licence training and assessment with an Approved Training Provider are not required to do the heavy vehicle knowledge test with MVR.
Last updated: 28 June 2017