Get your motorbike licence

Sit your practical riding test

To sit a riding test you will need to enrol in a Motorcyclist Education Training and Licensing (METAL) program pre-provisional rider training course.

Before you can sit your pre-provisional rider training course, you must have held your learner rider licence for six consecutive months.

Your assessment results from the METAL pre-provisional course will remain valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

If you do not upgrade from a Class R learner licence within this period, you will need to complete another pre-provisional rider training course.

METAL pre-provisional rider training course

The METAL pre-provisional rider training course gives you professional training in riding techniques and improves your skills and understanding of road safety for motorcyclists.

Approved rider training providers that deliver the METAL program are approved through the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

Your trainer must follow a set of principles and guidelines known as a code of practice:

Code of practice for NT driving instructors and driving examiners PDF (758.8 KB)
Code of practice for NT driving instructors and driving examiners DOCX (656.3 KB).

The METAL course is available from the following providers:

Darwin region

Defensive Driving Academy Darwin
Phone: 0417 727 345

Bike You
Phone: 0424 483 480 

Darwin Motorcycle Riding School
Phone: 0411 609 658

The Scooter Shop
Phone: 8941 2434 / 0416 201 611

Alice Springs

Alice Springs MC Khana
Phone: 0408 208 619


Phone: 0438 808 835 / 0418 851 644

Bike You
Phone: 0424 483 480

You will need to check with your provider whether or not motorcycles and helmets are provided for the course.

To get the list of approved motorcycles for novice riders go to the New South Wales Government's Roads and Maritime website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 02 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.