Transgender and gender diverse: children and adolescents

This page provides information on health and wellbeing services for transgender and gender diverse children and adolescents in the Northern Territory (NT).

For young people and teenagers exploring self-identity is normal.

As your child gets older they will be more comfortable seeing a counsellor or doctor alone and raising concerns.

You and your child can decide together when it might be time to see a health professional on their own. For most children this is around early adolescence.

Experienced professionals can talk with you and your family about your child’s feelings.

Read about transgender and diverse adults.

Steps you can take

Below is information on steps you can take.

Step 1. Getting information and professional support

Talk to your doctor or visit a LGBTQI friendly and experienced doctor and let them know you want to talk about gender identity issues with yourself or a family member.

You can contact the Northern Territory AIDS and Hepatitis Council (NTAHC) or ask your usual doctor for advice about experienced LGBTQI friendly doctors.

Step 2. Finding support groups

Social support will help connect you with other young people, parents and families experiencing similar issues.

There are several Australian peer and social support groups for transgender and gender diverse children, their parents and families.

For information on current social support services in the NT, contact NTAHC.

Step 3. Talking to health specialists

There are many doctors that can be involved in helping your child and family.

LGBTQI specialist doctor services can provide expert advice on assessment for gender dysphoria (GD) and treatment options including puberty blockers, hormone treatment, surgical options and mental health referrals.

In Australia a GD diagnosis is needed before hormone treatment for children and young people can be started.

Following is a list of some of the specialists you may need to consult.


Paediatricians are doctors with special training and skills in the health and development of babies, children and teenagers.


Endocrinologists are specialist doctors who understand how hormones work in the body.

Paediatric endocrinologists

Paediatric endocrinologists are specialists in children’s hormonal conditions and management.

Speech pathologists

Speech pathology can help with voice and mannerisms. This speciality service may not always be available in the NT.

For more information

Read the below guides for more information for transgender and gender diverse children and adolescents.

Last updated: 02 October 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!