Eligibility for free dental services
This page has information about who can access free public dental services in the Northern Territory (NT).
Who can access free public dental services
You can access free public dental services in the NT if you meet any of the following:
- you are under 18 years old - as long you have not finished school and do not work full time
- you are part of the Federal Government's cleft lip and cleft palate scheme
- you have a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- you have a Centrelink Health Care Card
- you are a remote resident needing emergency dental care and do not have access to private dental services - you must be more than 100km from your nearest health service.
For orthodontic services, in addition to the above, you must also meet all of the following:
- you are the holder or dependant of a current Health Care Card or Pension Concession Card issued by the Australian Department of Human Services
- you meet strict clinical criteria based on clinical assessment of a public orthodontist or dentist
- your orthodontic treatment will be completed by the age of 18.
If your eligibility status changes
If your eligibility status changes during a short course of care, such as routine fillings, your entitlement to treatment won't change.
If your eligibility status changes during a long course of care, such as during orthodontics, root canal treatment, prosthetics or periodontics, you will be referred to the private health sector after immediate treatment is completed.
|Residents of the NT for more than six months||Emergency services||General services|
|School aged children||Yes||Yes|
|Below school aged||Yes||Yes|
|Residents living in the NT for less than six months||Emergency services||General services|
|School aged children||Yes||No|
|Below school aged children||Yes||No|
|Cleft lip/palate scheme members||Yes||Yes|
|Non-Australian residents||Emergency services||General services|
|Tourist visa (676)||No||No|
|Dependents of holders of temporary/ interim Medicare cards||Yes||Yes|
|457 visa (employer/visa holder responsible for healthcare costs)||No||No|
|Refugees within six months of arrival||Yes||Yes|
|Trauma and/or torture victim||Yes||Yes|
|Overseas students (570 - 576)||No||No|
|Temporary residence (non business) 406 - 423||No||No|
|Employer sponsored (176/886 or 475/487)||No||No|
For more information about eligibility of other services call (08) 8951 6713.
Last updated: 12 May 2016
Share this page:URL copied!