Dental services

Eligibility for free dental services

You can access free public dental services in the Northern Territory (NT) if you meet any of the following:

  • you are under 18 years old - as long you have not finished school and do not work full time
  • you are part of the Australian Government's cleft lip and cleft palate scheme - go to the Services Australia website
  • you have a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • you have a Centrelink Health Care Card
  • you are a remote resident needing emergency dental care and don't have access to private dental services
    • you must be more than 100km from your nearest health service.

Orthodontic services

For orthodontic services, in addition to the above, you must also meet all of the following:

  • you are the holder or dependant of a current Health Care Card or Pension Concession Card issued by the Australian Department of Human Services
  • you meet strict clinical criteria based on clinical assessment of a public orthodontist or dentist
  • your orthodontic treatment will be completed by the age of 18.

If your eligibility status changes

If your eligibility status changes during a short course of care, such as routine fillings, your entitlement to treatment won't change.

If your eligibility status changes during a long course of care, such as during orthodontics, root canal treatment, prosthetics or periodontics, you will be referred to the private health sector after immediate treatment is completed.

Residents of the NT for more than six monthsEmergency servicesGeneral services
School aged childrenYesYes
Below school agedYesYes 
Residents living in the NT for less than six monthsEmergency servicesGeneral services
School aged childrenYesNo
Below school aged childrenYesNo
Cleft lip/palate scheme membersYesYes
Non-Australian residentsEmergency servicesGeneral services
Tourist visa (676)NoNo
Dependants of holders of temporary/ interim Medicare cardsYesYes
457 visa (employer/visa holder responsible for healthcare costs)NoNo
Refugees within six months of arrivalYesYes
Trauma and/or torture victimYesYes
Overseas students (570 - 576)NoNo
Temporary residence (non business) 406 - 423NoNo
Employer sponsored (176/886 or 475/487)NoNo


For more information contact the Oral Health Services:

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 12 May 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!