Affordable Housing Scheme: rental dwellings

If you are looking for somewhere to rent and you work in one of the Northern Territory's (NT) key service industries, you may be eligible to apply to rent an Affordable Housing Scheme dwelling.

The NT Government head leases dwellings from the private sector to provide more affordable housing options around the NT.

These are then subleased to eligible low to middle income earning tenants.

Key service jobs are listed on the NT's skilled occupation priority list.

For information and list updates, read high demand and critical jobs.

At least one adult household member must be employed. Income is assessed for adults and independent minors only. Dependent minor income is not assessed.

Preference is given to those employed in one of the following key service areas:

  • tourism and hospitality
  • retail
  • trades
  • education and childcare
  • health and emergency services
  • public service front line positions only
  • community and social services
  • transport and logistics
  • agriculture and fisheries
  • construction
  • manufacturing
  • real estate and property management
  • telecommunications
  • media and advertising
  • sales and marketing
  • recreation, arts and entertainment.

Other conditions

In addition to the meeting the conditions above you cannot:

  • currently own a property in the NT
  • get a rental subsidy from your employer
  • be directly employed in the resources sector.

To apply you need to meet a number of conditions.

You must be able to show you can make regular rental payments.

At least one adult member of the household must be employed. Income is assessed for adults and independent minors only. Dependent minor income is not assessed.

Household income limits

You must meet income limits to be eligible.

Household type Maximum gross household income (before tax)
One adult $85,000
Two adults $109,490
Three adults $139,787
Four adults $170,084
Sole parent with one child $109,566
Sole parent with two children $135,837
Sole parent with three children $162,108
Couple with one child $135,761
Couple with two children $162,032
Couple with three children $188,303

If the above is not relevant, you can also calculate your household income using the following figures:

Household Maximum gross household income (before tax)
First adult $79,193
Each additional adult $30,297
First sole parent $83,295
Each child $26,271

You can apply to rent these dwellings at 70% of market rates in Darwin, Palmerston, Coolalinga, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.

They are managed by private rental property agents.

You can get an application form and more information by contacting the affordable housing scheme property manager in your region and you can also view all rental options on the agent's website.

Palmerston and Coolalinga Elders Real Estate 08 8931 5027 Elders Real
Darwin and Top End Elders Real Estate 08 8931 5027 Elders Real
Alice Springs Community Housing Central Australia08 8952166
Tennant Creek Andrews Property 08 8962 2111Andrews Property

Venture Housing Company is a government initiated not-for-profit affordable housing rental company that offers eligible Darwin residents rentals below market rates.

There are also more affordable rental options available in the private market.

Last updated: 23 December 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!