Public housing inspections

Housing officers will come to your public housing home to inspect its condition. They may visit up to four times a year.

They may come more than this if your house needs repairs.

They can also drive by your home to make sure you are looking after your yard.

What housing officers look at

Housing officers check you are looking after your home.

They will also check to see if your home needs any repairs or maintenance.

They will organise for someone to fix anything that needs repairs.

You will have to cover the cost of repairs for damage you are responsible for.

When damage is your responsibility

Damage is determined by comparing the current condition of your property to the condition it was when you moved in.

This includes any damage that is deliberate or caused by neglect.

You aren't responsible for reasonable wear and tear.

Reasonable wear and tear includes any deterioration or damage that happens due to normal use or ageing of your home.

Fixing damage to your home

You will have 28 days to repair damage to your home.

Housing officers will come back to your home to check you have repaired the damage properly.

If you don't repair the damage, housing officers will organise a contractor to make the repairs.

You will then have to pay for the cost of the repairs.

For more information contact your local housing office.

Last updated: 27 March 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!