Owning a rental property

There are rules that set out the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 1999.

As a landlord, you can choose to either:

  • manage your own rental property
  • or pay a professional real estate agency to manage your property on your behalf.

Manage your own property

If you want to manage your own property you should read the Residential Tenancies Act 1999.

This will help to give you a good level of understanding of your rights and responsibilities as a landlord.

If your rental property has a swimming pool or spa you must have certified pool safety barrier.

Read more about the laws for pools and spas on rental properties.

Book a training course

Consumer Affairs NT run training courses for landlords about the Residential Tenancy Act. To book a course, call 08 8999 1999.

Tenancy agreements

You can find information about tenancy agreements, including updates on any changes to the law, on the NT Consumer Affairs website.

You can also call NT Consumer Affairs on 08 8999 1999.

Using a rental agency

Many owners decide to pay a real estate professional to manage their rental property.

Your agent will handle the day to day issues including collecting the rent and regular inspections and will be the first point of contact for your tenant for repairs and maintenance requests.

You will need to sign an agreement with the agency and this will include details about commission rates, fees and charges.

For more details on your role and responsibilities as a landlord contact NT Consumer Affairs.

Last updated: 30 June 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!