Household goods grant scheme

If you buy a new property as your first home, you may be eligible to apply for up to $2,000 to buy household goods.


You can apply for a household goods grant if you:

  • are a first home buyer of a new home and are eligible for the First Home Owners Grant
  • have entered into a contract to purchase or build the new home on or after 1 September 2016
  • are an owner builder and started construction of the new home on or after 1 September 2016.

You can only purchase the household goods after the date on the contract.

If you are buying a new home, you can apply for your grant at settlement.

If you are building a new home, you can apply for your grant once the certificate of occupancy is issued.

Before you apply, you should read the household goods grant scheme guide.

Household goods grant scheme guide PDF (188.0 KB)
Household goods grant scheme guide DOCX (79.2 KB)

To apply for the HGGS, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the household goods grant application - this can be found in the guide.

Step 2. Submit your application by mail or email to:

Territory Revenue Office
GPO Box 154
Darwin NT 0801

Payment will be made to your nominated account within 14 days.

You must spend the full $2000 amount on household goods. If you don't, you must repay the balance to the TRO.

You can use the grant to buy various household items including:

  • white or brown goods such as:
    • refrigerators, freezers
    • air conditioners, fans
    • ovens, cook tops, microwave ovens, toasters
    • TVs, computers, stereos
    • sewing machines
    • blenders, mixers, kettles, coffee makers
    • dishwashers
    • vacuum cleaners, washers, dryers
    • power tools.
  • furniture such as:
    • beds or bedframes, mattresses
    • desks, bookcases
    • wardrobes, cabinets
    • couches, sofas, sofa beds
    • chairs, tables
    • entertainment centres
    • outdoor settings.
  • miscellaneous items such as:
    • kitchenware
    • soft furnishings
    • decorative and outdoor items
    • sheets, towels, cushions
    • curtains, curtain rods, blinds
    • irons and ironing boards
    • home medical equipment
    • mirrors
    • floor coverings
    • garden pots and plants, barbecues and garden tools.

To check if an item you want to buy is an eligible household good, contact the Territory Revenue Office (TRO) by emailing

Where you can buy goods

You must buy your goods from a business that:

  • has a permanent base in the Northern Territory
  • is currently engaged in the production of goods or delivery of services
  • employs Territory residents.

You cannot purchase from:

  • party plan operators
  • online retailers.

You can't use the grant to pay a builder or construction company for household goods included in your building contract.

You can use the grant to buy household goods without any involvement from your builder. The goods must meet the eligibility criteria.

After you buy

You must keep receipts for all your purchases and submit them to the TRO within 90 days of receiving the grant.

You can submit your receipts by email or mail.


Scan your receipts or take a photo on a mobile device and email to


Send copies of your receipts to:

Territory Revenue Office
GPO Box 154
Darwin NT 0801

You must keep your original receipts.

The TRO will contact you within five business days to confirm no further action is required.

For more information contact TRO by calling 1300 305 353.

Last updated: 23 May 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.