Development application: Indigenous land

Apply for planning consent

This page is for people who want to apply for planning consent at an Indigenous community. 

Proposals that need a permit

If any of the following applies to your proposal, contact Development Assessment Services to determine if you need a development permit:

  • the land is zoned
  • you need to clear native vegetation
  • your proposal requires a lease, licence or other right to occupy of more than 12 years.

If the conditions above do not apply to your proposal, then you do not need a development permit. 

Proposals that do not need a permit

If you do not submit a development application, you must to talk to all the following parties: 

  • the land owner or regional council to get permission for the development to occur
  • Power and Water Corporation's Remote Operations - for site servicing requirements
  • Lands Planning at the Department of Lands, Planning and the Environment, if you need to give your site an address or a new administrative lot number.

Go to the Development One Stop Shop to book a meeting with a planner or to make a development application. 


For detailed information about planning consent for your proposal get the planning guidelines for major remote towns and Indigenous communities in the NT PDF (840.8 KB).

Contact details for land owners, regional councils and service authorities are included in the guidelines.

More information about Indigenous communities

Use the area plans and zoning maps for major remote towns to help with your planning.

For Serviced Land Availability Program (SLAP) maps, and general community and regional information, go to the Northern Territory Government's Bushtel website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 07 March 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.