Fisheries compliance

Fisheries enforcement is the responsibility of the NT Water Police.

Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) is responsible for enforcement of quota managed fisheries for offshore snapper and offshore net and line. Go to the AFMA website.

Fisheries inspectors and Aboriginal marine rangers have an important role in managing fishing compliance. Read below to find out more.

How to report

You can help protect our fisheries by reporting any suspected illegal fishing.

Make a report

Fisheries inspectors

Fisheries inspectors are appointed by the minister. Their role is to assist in:

If a fisheries inspector believes on reasonable grounds that a person is engaged in taking fish or aquatic life, they may request:

  • your name and address
  • number of the licence or permit (if any)
  • to examine any fishing gear the fisheries inspector believes is being used.

Inspectors must produce evidence that they are a fisheries inspector authorised to exercise the power.

Aboriginal marine rangers

Aboriginal marine rangers may be appointed as fisheries inspectors.  Marine rangers actively patrol their sea country and are authorised to investigate:

  • fishing activities
  • equipment, and any
  • suspected illegal activity.

They are able to prepare evidence for police to act on the matter if enforcement is needed.


For more information contact the water police on 08 8947 0391.

Last updated: 11 August 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!