Fogg Dam Conservation Area
Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve is only a 45-minute drive from Darwin.
It is one of the most accessible places in the Northern Territory (NT) to experience spectacular wetlands and wildlife throughout the year.
If you're a keen bird watcher, there are often a variety of birds around the dam wall.
It is also a haven for water pythons, freshwater turtles and other wildlife.
Fogg Dam has one of the world's highest biomass of predator (water pythons) to prey (dusky rats) ratio. They make their homes in the cracked mud during the hot Dry Season from August to October, while waiting for the rains.
There are several walks through monsoon and floodplain habitats.
If your time is limited, don't miss visiting the bird hides on the dam wall or Pandanus Knoll Lookout, which looks over the wetlands and is spectacular at sunrise and sunset.
Fogg Dam is located on the traditional lands of the Limilngan-Wulna people, who are active in the reserve's management.
Phone: (08) 8988 8009
|Park sites||Access||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve||Open||Temporary detour in place due to repair work being undertaken to Fogg Dam wall.||NA|
|Woodlands to Water Lilies Walk||Open||NA|
|Dam Wall Walk||Open for vehicles only||Closed to pedestrians due to potential presence of crocodiles and flooding||NA|
All year round.
From December to July the water lilies and other plants are in bloom.
Fogg Dam is the only wetland in the NT you can get to all year round without a four-wheel drive. It is only an hour's drive from Darwin on sealed road.
Travel 60km south along the Stuart and Arnhem Highways from Darwin. Turn left on to Anzac Parade and travel for 10km to the reserve.
When you should go
Time of day
Fogg Dam has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- public toilets
- disabled access
- picnic area
- bird hides
- scenic lookout platforms
When visiting the park, remember all of the following:
- take your rubbish with you or put it in a bin
- stay on marked roads and tracks
- all cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted in the park
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- camping is not permitted
- no fishing
- check your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- observe all crocodile warning signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a shady hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- protect yourself from tropical disease
- wear suitable clothing and footwear
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped
- beware of theft, lock vehicles and secure valuables.
Phone: 08 8988 8009
Last updated: 07 March 2019