Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Reserve

The Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Reserve is an important wildlife habitat within a semi-urban setting. 

It is open all-year-round. 

During the Wet Season you can view the full wetlands and water lilies. 

There is rich birdlife and wildlife around the wetlands including magpie geese, the little curlew, egrets and the long-necked turtle.

The reserve has cultural importance for the local Larrakia people and is still used for collecting traditional food.

There is no vehicle access into the reserve and you are not permitted to camp in the reserve.

Get the Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Park fact sheet and map (654.9 kb). 

What to see and do

You can go birdwatching and wildlife watching in this reserve. 

How to get there

The reserve is 12km south-east of Darwin city centre. 

Access is off Lagoon Road (Randall Road) or McMillans Road (Fiddlers Lane). 

Check if this park is open

Find out if the Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Park is open.


Phone: (08) 8946 5126

Please remember

When visiting the park remember all of the following:

  • put your rubbish in the bin or take it away with you
  • stay on designated roads and tracks
  • cultural items and wildlife are protected
  • pets are not permitted in the reserve
  • nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
  • no fires
  • camping is not permitted
  • check that your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads.


You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Reserve by doing all of the following:

  • observe park safety signs
  • carry and drink plenty of water
  • wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
  • wear suitable clothing and footwear
  • carry a first aid kit
  • avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
  • beware of theft, lock vehicles and secure valuables.

Last updated: 12 February 2016


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.