How teachers apply for the Peace in the Pacific study tour
Northern Territory (NT) teachers can apply to participate in the Peace in the Pacific Study Tour as a chaperone.
The 2020 study tour group will consist of:
- three students
- one teacher chaperone
- one Australian Defence Force chaperone.
Your application must be endorsed by your school and submitted by Friday 26 June 2020.
Successful applicants will be announced in August 2020.
Teachers may apply to participate in both the Peace in the Pacific and the Anzac Spirit study tours. You are eligible to chaperone only one of these study tours.
Who can apply
You must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- be registered with the Northern Territory Teachers Registration Board
- have the endorsement of your school principal
- possess an appropriate level of physical fitness and health
- your principal must agree to provide time release for the study tour
- be willing to participate in scheduled before and after study tour activities including planning sessions, media events and speaking engagements
- have an Australian passport with six months validity at the date of travel or have the ability to obtain an Australian passport
- nominate two confidential referees when submitting your application
- hold a Provide First Aid certificate that will be valid for the duration of the tour.
As a teacher chaperone you will be responsible for the overall wellbeing, supervision and security of the three students selected to travel on the study tour.
As such, you will represent the NT Government, the Chief Minister and NT teachers.
You will also be required to:
- take part in planning and preparation for the study tour as required
- participate in post-tour activities such as speaking to school and community groups about the study tour
- participate in media events
- keep a travel journal throughout the study tour, which will be referenced in the preparation and promotion of future study tours
- design an evaluation for the students based on their perception, expectation and experiences of the tour.
How to apply
To enter follow these steps:
Step 1. Address the selection criteria
Write a 500 word statement addressing the following selection criteria:
- state how this experience would enhance your professional learning
- detail your demonstrated outstanding personal qualities for an international representational role and excellent interpersonal skills with students
- outline your experience in planning and conducting extended excursions.
Step 2. Fill in the teacher chaperone form
Fill in the teacher chaperone form.
Step 3. School approval
Submit the following documents to your school principal for endorsement by Friday 12 June 2020:
- statement addressing the selection criteria
- completed application form
- copy of your current Provide First Aid certificate.
Step 4. Application submission
Your application must be endorsed by your school principal before submission.
Endorsed applications should be forwarded by post, email or in person by close of business Friday 26 June 2020.
Chief Minister’s Peace in the Pacific Study Tour
Defence and Veterans Engagement
Level 1, Development House
76 The Esplanade
GPO Box 3200
Darwin NT 0801
If you are selected
Your photo and other personal information might be used in promotional materials.
To find out more read the Peace in the Pacific personal information fact sheet.
Last updated: 06 January 2020
Share this page: