How teachers apply for the Peace in the Pacific study tour
Northern Territory (NT) teachers can apply to participate in the Peace in the Pacific study tour as a chaperone.
The 2018 study tour group will consist of:
- three students
- one teacher chaperone
- one Australian Defence Force chaperone.
Northern Territory teachers working in NT government and non-government schools may apply to participate in the Peace in the Pacific and the Anzac Spirit study tours, but are eligible to chaperone only one of these study tours.
Who can apply
You must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- be registered with the Northern Territory Teachers Registration Board
- have the endorsement of your school principal
- possess an appropriate level of physical fitness and health
- your principal must agree to provide time release for the study tour
- be willing to participate in scheduled before and after study tour activities including planning sessions, media events and speaking engagements
- have an Australian passport with six months validity at the date of travel or have the ability to obtain an Australian passport
- nominate two confidential referees when submitting your application
- hold a Provide First Aid certificate that will be valid for the duration of the tour.
As a teacher chaperone you will be responsible for the overall wellbeing, supervision and security of the three students selected to travel on the study tour.
As such, you will represent the Northern Territory Government, the Chief Minister and Northern Territory teachers.
You will also be required to:
- take part in planning and preparation for the study tour as required
- participate in post-tour activities such as speaking to school and community groups about the study tour
- participate in media events
- maintain a travel journal throughout the study tour, which will be referenced in the preparation and promotion of future study tours.
How to apply
To enter follow these steps:
Step 1. Address the selection criteria
Write a statement of 500 words addressing the following selection criteria:
- state how this experience would enhance your professional learning
- detail your demonstrated outstanding personal qualities for an international representational role and excellent interpersonal skills with students
- outline your experience in planning and conducting extended excursions.
Step 2. Fill in the teacher chaperone form
Step 3. Submit to your school for approval
Submit the following documents to your school principal for endorsement:
- statement addressing the selection criteria
- completed application form
- copy of your current Provide First Aid certificate.
Step 4. Forward your short-listed application
If shortlisted by your principal, ensure your school forwards your application by post, email or in person by 8 August 2018.
Chief Minister’s Peace in the Pacific Study Tour
GPO Box 3200
Darwin NT 0801
Level 1, Development House
76 The Esplanade
If you are selected
Your photo and other personal information might be used in promotional materials.
To find out more read the Peace in the Pacific personal information fact sheet.
Last updated: 06 April 2018