Information for child care providers
Qualification and ratio requirements for staff
This page has information on the qualification requirements for staff and ratios for long day care, preschool or kindergarten, family day care and outside school hours care under the National Quality Framework.
Child care teacher qualifications
If you run a long day care, preschool or three year old kindergarten services you are required to have either access to, or have in attendance, an early childhood teacher (ECT).
Go to the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) website for more information about the ECT requirements.
If your staff already hold a qualification, check the ACECQA website to ensure it is an approved ECT qualification.
If it is not approved, but you believe that is equivalent to those listed, your staff may be eligible to have their qualification assessed as equivalent by ACECQA.
Child care general educator qualifications
If you are a centre based service providing education and care to children of preschool age or under, you must ensure staff working directly with children meet the following qualification requirements:
- at least 50% of staff hold or are actively working towards an approved diploma or higher qualification, and
- all other educators either hold or are actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification.
Qualifications in family day care
If you run family day care, all your educators must either hold or be actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification.
All family day care coordinators must hold at least an approved diploma level qualification.
Qualifications in outside school hours care
If you run an outside school hours care facility at least 50% of your staff working directly with children must have or be working towards either:
- an approved qualification listed on the ACECQA website
- a 2 year accredited post secondary course in child care, or
- a post secondary sports and recreation or teaching qualification.
First aid qualifications
If you run a child care service you must have staff in attendance, and immediately available at all times, with the following first aid qualifications:
- current approved first aid qualification
- approved anaphylaxis management training, and
- approved asthma management training.
Go to the ACECQA website for more information on approved qualifications.
Child care educator to child ratios
You must ensure the following educator to child ratios at all times:
- children from birth to 2 years of age - 1 educator to 4 children
- children over 2 to 3 years of age - 1 educator to 5 children
- children aged 3 to 4 years of age - 1 educator to 11 children
- children 5 years and over - 1 educator to 15 children
If you provide a family day care service you need 1 educator to 7 children. This includes the educators own children if they are 13 years of age or under. No more than 4 children can be 4 years of age or under.
Go to the ACECQA website for more information on educator to child ratios.
Contact Quality Education and Care NT for more information by either:
- phone: (08) 8999 3561
- email: email@example.com
Last updated: 04 February 2019
Share this page: