Community based order

A community based order is a court order which says all offenders will be supervised by a probation and parole officer - and they are required to participate in programs, treatment or training and possibly unpaid community work.

You can be on one of these orders for up to two years. If a person is on a community based order they must: 

  • following all directions of the probation and parole officer
  • report to receive visits from the officer as directed
  • tell their probation and parole officer if they change employment or address within two working days
  • follow all other conditions set by the court. 

The order will also ask the offender to take part in at least one of the following:

  • attending programs or counselling 
  • undergo drug and/or alcohol assessment and treatment
  • have medical psychological or psychiatric assessments
  • complete unpaid community work.

A court places you on a community based order

After sentencing the court will give the offender a copy of their court order that will outline the conditions the offender must comply with.

The offender must report to the Community Corrections Office named on the order within two working days.

When the offender reports to the Community Corrections Office they will be assigned a probation and parole officer.

The officer will:

  • go through the order with the offender to make sure they understand it
  • explain the conditions the offender must comply with
  • provide details of any programs, counselling or community work they must complete
  • help the offender develop a plan to follow the conditions of their order.

If you can’t attend your meeting

If an offender can’t attend a community work session, a program or an appointment it is their responsibility to notify the probation and parole officer immediately.

The offender will be required to provide evidence such as a doctor’s certificate or letter from their employer.

What you can't do while on an order

A person on a community based order must not: 

  • break the law while on the order
  • leave the Northern Territory (NT) without permission from the probation and parole officer
  • breach the conditions of their order.

If you don't follow the order

If an offender doesn’t follow the conditions of the order, the probation and parole officer will investigate what has happened and the offender may have to return to court to explain their actions.

If the probation and parole officer says you have to go back to court you should contact your lawyer, they will explain the process and what the court might decide.


Programs can help offenders make changes in their life and reduce the risk of re-offending.

Programs have been developed to provide help with gambling, drugs, alcohol, money problems or mental illness. 

Meeting the requirements of the order

An offender can apply to the court at any time during the order period for the order to be revoked and another penalty substituted. Contact your lawyer to discuss your options and make an application to the court.


Find out more in the following languages:

Last updated: 08 March 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.