Community work order

A community work order is a sentence that requires offenders to complete unpaid work which is of benefit to the community.

If a person is placed on a community work order they are required to:

  • follow all reasonable directions of the probation and parole officer
  • perform community work in a satisfactory manner as directed
  • finish the community work hours within the time frame written on the order
  • tell their officer if they change address within two working days
  • follow all other conditions set by the court.

If a person is placed on a community work order they must not:

  • break the law while on the order
  • leave the Northern Territory (NT) without permission from the probation and parole officer
  • breach the conditions of their order.

After the court places someone on a community work order

After sentencing the court will give the offender a copy of their court order which will outline community work hours and the time frame for completion.

The person must report to their local Community Corrections office within two working days.

When the offender reports to the Community Corrections office they will be assigned a probation and parole officer.

Their officer will explain the conditions of the order offender and provide them with a work schedule which will ensure that they complete the community work hours in the allocated time frame.

Getting to the work site

It is the offender's responsibility to make their way to the work site.

If they think they will have problems getting to the site they should tell the probation and parole officer as soon as possible.

If a person can't attend

If an offender can’t attend a community work session, a program or an appointment it is their responsibility to notify their probation and parole officer immediately.

The offender will be required to provide evidence such as a doctor’s certificate or letter from their employer.

If the person doesn't follow the order

If an offender doesn’t follow the conditions of the order, the probation and parole officer will investigate what has happened and the offender may have to return to court to explain their actions.

If the officer tells you that you have to go back to court you should contact your lawyer. Your lawyer will explain your options and what the court might decide.

If the person can't meet the conditions of your order

An offender can apply to the court at any time during the order period for the order to be revoked and another penalty substituted. Contact your lawyer to discuss your options and make an application to the court.

Other languages

Watch estories in the following languages:

Last updated: 17 June 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!