Local Courts are held in Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine, Tennant Creek and some bush courts.
Types of cases in the Local Court
There are several smaller courts within the Local Court that deal with different areas of law.
They are all of the following:
- common criminal offences such as drink driving, stealing and assault
- civil disputes involving debts, damages or other actions under $100,000 – these matters are on the daily court list under Local Court
- committal hearings for more serious crimes such as murder, robbery and sexual assault
- small claims
- family matters
- young people under 18 years old in the Youth Justice Court
- coronials or inquests into deaths
- workers’ compensation claims.
How the Local Court works
There is no jury in the Local Court.
The judge sits on the bench and it is their job to decide on a verdict. The court is open to public and media, unless the magistrate orders it to be closed.
The court officer calls out the cases and handles documents between the judge and lawyers.
Contact details and maps
GPO Box 1281
Darwin NT 0801
Corner Cavenagh and Bennett Streets
Darwin NT 0800
PO Box 1394
Alice Springs NT 0871
Alice Springs NT 0870
PO Box 1694
Katherine NT 0851
Katherine NT 0850
Find out more contact details and information on the Local Court website.