Automatic mutual recognition for occupational licences

If you are licensed and/or registered, you may now be able to work across states and territories without needing to:

  • apply or
  • pay a fee for a second licence.

The automatic mutual recognition (AMR) scheme allows you to use your current licence or registration to do the same activities in another part of Australia.

Changes from 1 July

AMR is available from 1 July in the following states and territories:

  • Northern Territory
  • New South Wales
  • Victoria
  • Australian Capital Territory.

Currently the scheme is only available for a limited number of occupations across participating states and territories.

Working in other states and territories

Skilled workers from the Northern Territory (NT) can practise interstate for certain occupations.

To find out if your NT licence or registration can be used in other states or territories, check that state or territory's website.

Working in the NT

Interstate workers from a participating state or territory will be able to work in the NT if registered for the following occupations:

  • security officer and/or crowd controller
  • gaming machine repairer and/or manager
  • casino operative
  • commercial and/or private agent
  • bookmaker key employee
  • radiation equipment operator involved in:
    • installation, repair, service, testing and transportation of radiation sources
  • veterinarian.

Further occupational licences will be included in the scheme soon.

What you need to do

To practise across participating states and territories, you must be registered in your home state or territory to undertake the activities you intend to carry out in a second state or territory.

Depending on your occupation, you may need to meet additional requirements. You may need to:

  • notify the relevant authority of your intent to practice
  • meet and maintain financial public protection requirements (such as, insurance, fidelity funds, trust accounts, minimum financial requirements), and
  • satisfy and maintain a working with vulnerable people character test.

To find out requirements for your occupation, go to the business and industry section and search.

You must comply with the laws of the state or territory where you are working.

If you do not comply with state or territory laws or licence conditions your entitlement to working interstate can be suspended or cancelled. Your home state or territory licence or registration can also be suspended or cancelled.

Check if you are eligible

You can't take part if in this scheme if:

  • you are subject to criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings in any state or territory and have been informed, or aware of it
  • your registration in any state or territory is cancelled or currently suspended as a result of disciplinary action
  • you are prohibited from an occupation, or subject to any conditions because of civil, criminal or other disciplinary proceedings in any state or territory
  • you have been refused registration for a relevant occupation in any state or territory.

You also can't take part if you fail to:

  • meet any public protection requirement or satisfy a vulnerable person character test required by the law of a state or territory you are planning to work in, or if you fail to provide evidence of this
  • meet a requirement to notify a local regulatory agency before working
  • notify the agency if your home state or territory changes
  • provide information requested by a local regulatory agency
    • including information to confirm your home state or territory, or information required by a law of a state or territory in which you are visiting.

For more information

Licensed workers and business can find out more on the Australian Government's Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet website.

Last updated: 05 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!