Apply for pest management technician licence


If you use pesticides in a pest control business you must have either: 

  • a pest management technician licence
  • or a licence or authorisation under the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Act

Substances you need a licence for

You must have a licence to use pesticides for pest control listed in the schedule 5, 6 and 7.

This includes using them to:

  • prevent
  • destroy
  • repel 
  • attract
  • inhibit
  • control.

Any of the following:

  • insects
  • rodents
  • birds
  • nematodes
  • bacteria
  • fungi
  • weeds
  • other forms of animal life or viruses that are pests.

Keep records

You must keep records of transactions for all substances on your licence for two years.

A dedicated register is required to record all transactions for dangerous poisons, known as schedule 7 substances. 

This means recording details of stock in, balance and stock out. 


You can record your transactions on either of the following registers:

Health check

You may be asked to have a medical examination if there is any concern that your health is at risk from using pesticides, particularly if you applying for a fumigation licence for using methyl bromide.

NT pest management technician licence register

To view the current list of registered pest management technicians go to hire a pest management technician.

You can also ask a technician for a copy of their licence.

Some licences restrict a technician to using specified chemicals only.

For more information contact Medicines and Poisons Control on the Department of Health website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 February 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.