Complain about a bookmaker or betting exchange operator

If you are unhappy with a bookmaker or betting exchange operator you can complain to the Northern Territory Racing Commission. 

They can investigate and impose penalties with complaints which are upheld. 

Go to the Department of the Attorney-General and Justice website for contact details for the NT Racing Commission.

How to complain

To begin the dispute process you must fill in the online gambling dispute form. You must do this within 14 days of the event in dispute.

You must provide all of the following information:

  • the name of the bookmaker or betting exchange operator, and your betting account details
  • what you are complaining about 
  • what contact you have had with the bookmaker or betting exchange operator to try and resolve the dispute, and the outcome
  • details of the bet in dispute
  • copies of information including betting slips and correspondence.

How your complaint will be handled

The Racing Commission will handle any matter involving significant amounts of money and can take any of the following actions:

  • hold a hearing and summon the people involved to give evidence on oath
  • take evidence from other people 
  • request books, accounts, tickets or other documents from those involved. 

If the Commission upholds the complaint it can do any of the following: 

  • impose penalties including fines 
  • suspend or cancel the licence of a bookmaker or betting exchange operator
  • direct the licence holder to take specific action.

Publishing the decision

Dispute or discipline decisions can be published if the Commission decides it is in the public interest. 

Decisions can be released to the media without the identities of non-bookmakers/betting exchange operators.

Last updated: 28 June 2017

Share this page: