Complain about a bookmaker or betting exchange operator

If you want to complain about a bookmaker or better exchange operator (wagering operator), you can contact the Northern Territory (NT) Racing Commission.

Before you make a complaint

You must make every reasonable effort to resolve the complaint directly with the wagering operator.

All licensed operators have systems in place to review, record, manage and investigate complaints. In many cases, a phone call can fix the problem.

Before making a complaint, follow these steps:

Step 1. Check the terms and conditions

Check the terms and conditions linked to your account or transaction, including the dispute resolution process.

Step 2. Contact the wagering operator

Contact the wagering operator as soon as the dispute happens. Explain the issue and the outcome you want.

The operator will likely ask you for proof of identity and information that supports your claim.

Wait at least 14 days before moving to step 3.

Step 3. Contact the racing commission

If your dispute still hasn’t been resolved, you may lodge a dispute with the commission.

You will need to include the dispute reference number provided by the wagering operator.

What the commission can't investigate

The commission can’t investigate any of the following:

  • requests for compensation or damages
  • customer service disputes
  • complaints about bets that were never accepted, processed or refused
    • including cashouts being removed or not being offered
  • betting accounts where restrictions have been imposed by the wagering operator
    • including the use of their promotions, or on the amount a customer can bet
  • complaints about minimum bet laws
  • betting accounts that have been closed by the wagering operator.

If your complaint relates to any of the above, you should seek your own legal advice to check your options.

If your complaint relates to an operator outside of the NT, contact the relevant authority in the state or territory where they are licensed.

Find out more about the role of the commission on the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade website.

Who can complain

Anyone can make a complaint to the commission. However, not all complaints can be investigated.

If you can’t make the complaint yourself, you can ask someone else to do it on your behalf.

They must provide:

  • a valid reason for acting on your behalf when they submit
  • signed authority from you to act on your behalf
  • information to support your claim.

Anonymous complaints

You can make an anonymous complaint. However, it will only be investigated if:

  • it raises a serious matter and
  • there is sufficient information to enable the commission to investigate.

How to complain

To make a complaint, fill in the online gambling dispute form.

You must provide all of the following information:

  • a summary of the complaint and the outcome you’re seeking
  • details of the bet in dispute
  • the dispute reference number provided by the wagering operator
  • what contact you have had with the wagering operator to try and resolve the dispute, and the outcome
  • the name of the wagering operator
  • your betting account details
  • copies of information including betting slips and other correspondence that support your complaint.

After you submit a complaint

Complaints can take up to 12 months to be finalised from when they are received.

The commission will assess your complaint to make sure it meets the legal requirements of the:

What the commission can do

The commission may decide to take any of the following actions:

  • hold a hearing and summon the people involved to give evidence
  • take evidence from other people
  • request books, accounts, tickets or other documents from those involved.

If the commission upholds the complaint it can do any of the following:

  • impose penalties including fines
  • suspend or cancel a wagering operator's licence
  • decide whether bets associated with a client account are lawful or unlawful
  • direct the wagering operator to take specific action.

Publishing the decision

Dispute or discipline decisions can be published if the commission decides it is in the public interest.

Responsible gambling

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, you can get help through Gambling Help Online.

If you need help to stop yourself gambling at a licensed venue, you can apply for a self-exclusion notice.

Last updated: 02 March 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!