Moving and exporting livestock

NT Waybills

You must use an NT waybill to move all of the following kinds of livestock from one property to another within the Northern Territory (NT):

  • alpacas, camels and llamas
  • cattle and buffalo
  • deer
  • goats
  • pigs
  • sheep.

If you want to move horses you don't need a waybill.

A waybill is a record of livestock movement. When you move livestock the waybill travels with the stock from where they are picked up - the property of origin - to the destination property where they are delivered.

Waybills must:

  • be signed by the original owner of the livestock or their representative
  • travel with the livestock
  • be filled in by the truck driver in the appropriate section on arrival and at the destination
  • be handed to the new owner of the livestock or their representative.

Filling in a waybill

A waybill is a form you must fill in with all of the following information:

  • the name of the livestock owner
  • the name, address and property identification code (PIC) of the property of origin of the livestock - get the PIC fact sheet PDF (174.2 KB)
  • the name of the new owner
  • the name, address and PIC of the destination property the livestock are being moved to
  • the species, type and number of animals
  • brands of animals
  • whether stock have National Livestock Identification System devices.

See an example of how to fill in a waybill PDF (590.3 KB).

What a waybill is for

Waybills record livestock details and movement information in the NT.

It is an important part of the National Livestock Identification System and provides detailed information which is used to trace animal movements.

The system also acts as a deterrent to stock stealing, proves the property of origin to abattoirs and export markets, and provides detailed documentation for station management.

Keeping copies

A copy of each waybill must be kept by the original owner of the livestock, the company or person taking delivery of the livestock and the registrar. You must keep all copies for seven years.

When you move stock:

  • the original white copy travels with the livestock and is carried by the truck driver
  • the pink duplicate must be sent by the livestock owner to the registrar or a livestock biosecurity officer within 28 days of the stock being moved
  • the green duplicate must be kept at the property of origin.

Where to get waybill forms

Waybill forms are sold in books of 50.

You can order them by post or fax using the order form.

Waybill order form DOCX (60.2 KB)
Waybill order form PDF (125.1 KB)

For more information about waybills, how to fill them in and what you must do with them, read the Agnote waybills in the NT PDF (500.9 KB).

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 27 March 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!