Keeping pigs


African swine fever has been confirmed in countries close to Australia including Timor Leste.

Early reporting is critical for containing the disease. Report any sick or dead pigs to your vet or by calling 1800 675 888.

Find out more about African swine fever.

There are no commercial pig farms in the Northern Territory (NT) but there are a number of hobby producers.


If you keep pigs on your property, or move them into or out of the NT, you will need a property identification code.

Read about how to get a property identification code.

You must meet biosecurity requirements if you want to move pigs from one property to another within the NT.

Read about moving and exporting livestock.

There are restrictions on what you can feed pigs to prevent diseases entering or spreading in the NT.

You must not feed pigs any swill that contains material from mammals or poultry, or has come into contact with such material.

This includes food scraps. You can only feed them commercially-prepared meat and bone meal.

To find out more read the Agnote don't feed swill to pigs PDF (159.4 KB).

To report unusual signs of disease in pigs call the 24-hour emergency animal disease hotline on 1800 675 888.

Consult your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms after contact with potentially infected animals.

Find out more about notifiable diseases and how to report them.

Shared diseases in Australia

Pigs can transmit potentially debilitating diseases to humans and other animals.

Get information about animal diseases that can affect people.

Some shared diseases in pigs and people that have been detected in Australia include:


A bacterial disease causing severe long term illness, fever and influenza type symptoms.

Brucellosis may be contracted by butchering and handling raw infected pig meat (especially reproductive organs), contaminated equipment and clothing, urine and contact with infected dogs.

Symptoms in dogs can include:

  • fever
  • lameness
  • back pain
  • vomiting
  • lethargy
  • enlarged testicles.

Q Fever

A serious bacterial disease that causes severe influenza like symptoms which can be fatal. Infection is via contaminated animal tissue (especially intestinal tissue, faeces, urine and foetal fluids).

Q fever is mainly spread by inhalation including during high pressure hosing, slaughtering animals and dressing carcasses.


A bacterial disease that can cause fever, kidney disease, jaundice and meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) which can be fatal.

Leptospirosis is found in animal tissue, urine and commonly in swamp water. It enters the body through cuts/ abrasions and contact with the lining of the nose, mouth and eyes.


A bacterial disease that commonly affects livestock and has potential to be passed onto humans through contact with infected animals or soil.

Swine Influenza

Swine influenza is a highly contagious, rapid onset, respiratory disease of pigs.

It is known that pigs have a potential to mix different strains of influenza viruses together to produce new strains that may have the potential to infect humans.

Signs of pigs infected with Swine Influenza include:

  • a high fever
  • discharge from eyes and nose
  • sneezing
  • breathing difficulties
  • barking cough.

Last updated: 04 October 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!