Cattle and bison: biosecurity requirements

There are rules you must follow for identifying and moving cattle and related livestock into, around and out of the Northern Territory (NT).

Property identification code

You must have a NT property identification code (PIC) for your property if you keep cattle or bison on your property, regardless of the size of your property, the number of livestock you have, or if they are pets.

Read how to get a PIC for your property.

Identifying and branding animals

All cattle over eight months old must be branded before they are moved off a property.

Read more about branding and identifying livestock and the National Livestock Identification System.

Moving livestock

There are livestock movement rules for cattle and bison being moved around, into, out of, and through the NT.

You must be aware of and comply with the rules so that livestock are moved according to disease control and animal welfare requirements.

Read more about NT waybills and moving and exporting livestock.

Read more about livestock welfare and land transport standards.


If you have any questions about the biosecurity rules for cattle and bison contact a livestock biosecurity officer.

Last updated: 13 April 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!