Report or rescue injured wildlife

Before rescuing injured wildlife you must make sure you and your party are safe from possible danger from road and traffic, other animals or the injured animal itself.

If you find an injured animal you should do all of the following:

  • make sure the animal is away from noise
  • keep handling to a minimum to keep the animal calm
  • keep pets and children away from wildlife
  • make sure the animal actually needs rescuing
  • don't offer food especially not cow's milk as this can make many animals sick
  • move roadkill at least 10m away from the road
  • check dead kangaroo and possum pouches for joeys
  • make sure you put your own safety first.

Report injured wildlife

Organisations that collect, care and release injured, orphaned or sick wildlife in the Northern Territory (NT) are run by volunteers. You may not hear back from a volunteer immediately because they may be at work or busy with other tasks.

Contact a wildlife rescue near you

If possible, these organisations will make sure the animal is collected, cared for and released.


Call Darwin Wildlife Sanctuary on 0473 992 581.
Call Wildcare Inc on 0408 885 341.


Call Wildcare Inc on 0412 955 336.

Alice Springs

Call Wildcare Alice Springs on 0419 221 128.

Taking the animal to a vet

Some local vets support wildlife care and offer first aid for native animals at no charge.

You can drop the animal off during business hours to any of the following vet clinics:

If you choose to care for injured or orphaned wildlife you will need a wildlife carer's permit.

For more information  and contacts read the wildlife rescue information sheet PDF (1.5 MB).

Last updated: 11 February 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!