Numbulwar is located about 400 kilometres east of Katherine, 570 kilometres south-east of Darwin and 250 kilometres south-west of Nhulunbuy.
Numbulwar resides at the mouth of the Rose River on the western coast of the Gulf of Carpentaria, adjacent to the extreme south-west coast of Groote Eylandt.
It has a population of 847 residents.
2017 jobs profile
The 2017 profile highlights:
- there were 112 filled jobs, of which:
- 78 jobs (70%) were filled by Aboriginal peoples, an increase of four jobs from 2014
- 34 jobs (30%) were filled by non-Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of nine jobs from 2014
- 70% of employed Aboriginal peoples are working in the public sector
- Aboriginal peoples accounted for 70% of job holders in the town compared to 63% in 2014
- Aboriginal females made up 49% of total Aboriginal filled jobs in the town compared to 57% in 2014
- there were 26 vacant jobs, of which:
- job vacancies as a percentage of jobs increased to 19% in 2017 from 8% in 2014
- job vacancies equate to one in five jobs
- 15 of the vacancies were in community and personal service workers and professional areas.
- Public administration and safety continues to be the largest industry employer over the three survey periods.
- Education and training had the most decrease in jobs filled over the three survey periods, despite being the second largest industry employer in 2017.
- Training had an increase in student numbers of 36 between 2016 and 2013.
- Building and construction had the largest student numbers of 36 in 2016.
- Transport and storage had the largest student number increase of 27 between 2016 and 2013.
Read the full 2017 job profile report for Numbulwar.
Past job profiles
The community workplace planning guide consists of tools and resources to assist service providers to overcome workforce challenges in remote Aboriginal communities. Find out more about remote community workforce plans.
The community workplace planning guide can be used with the workforce planning template for Numbulwar . This template is populated with data from the 2014 remote town job profiles.
Last updated: 07 November 2018
Share this page: