Milingimbi is located about 500 kilometres east of Darwin and half a kilometre off the mainland on the northern edge of Arnhem Land.
It has a population of 1,414 residents.
2017 jobs profile
The 2017 profile highlights:
- there were 276 filled jobs, of which:
- 229 jobs (83%) were filled by Aboriginal peoples, an increase of 75 jobs from 2014
- 47 jobs (17%) were filled by non-Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of 26 jobs from 2014
- 62% of employed Aboriginal peoples are working in the private sector
- Aboriginal peoples accounted for 83% of job holders in the town compared to 68% in 2014
- Aboriginal females made up 44% of total Aboriginal filled jobs in the town compared to 55% in 2014.
- there were 24 vacant jobs, of which:
- job vacancies as a percentage of jobs increased to 8% in 2017 from 5% in 2014
- job vacancies equate to one in 12 jobs
- nine vacancies were in the professional area
- Retail trade continues to be the largest industry employer, with increases in filled jobs over the three survey periods.
- Construction had 38 filled jobs in 2017, having recorded no filled jobs in 2014 and 2011.
- Arts and recreation had the highest decrease in filled jobs of 20 between 2017 and 2014.
- Training decreased by 19 student numbers between 2016 and 2013.
- Community services, health and education had the highest increase in student numbers of 41 between 2016 and 2013
- Arts, entertainment, sports and recreation, and sales and personal service had the highest decrease in student numbers of 54 and 46 respectively.
Read the full 2017 job profile report for Milingimbi.
Past job profiles
The community workplace planning guide consists of tools and resources to assist service providers to overcome workforce challenges in remote Aboriginal communities. Find out more about remote community workforce plans.
The community workplace planning guide can be used with the workforce planning template for Milingimbi . This template is populated with data from the 2014 remote town job profiles.
Last updated: 07 November 2018
Share this page:URL copied!