Lajamanu is located 640 kilometres south west of Katherine on the northern edge of the Tanami Desert and eastern side of Hooker Creek.
Access to Lajamanu is via the Victoria Highway from Katherine, Buntine Highway and the Lajamanu/Tanami Road.
Lajamanu is about a six hour drive from Katherine, with a population of 682 residents.
2017 jobs profile
The 2017 profile highlights:
- there were 103 filled jobs, of which:
- 66 jobs (64%) were filled by Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of 58 jobs from 2014
- 37 jobs (36%) were filled by non-Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of four jobs from 2014
- 40% of employed Aboriginal peoples are working in the private sector
- Aboriginal peoples accounted for 64% of job holders in the town compared to 61% in 2014
- Aboriginal females made up 58% of total Aboriginal filled jobs in the town compared to 49% in 2014
- there were 24 vacant jobs, of which:
- job vacancies as a percentage of jobs increased to 19% in 2017 from 7% in 2014
- job vacancies equate to one in five jobs
- 10 of the vacancies were in clerical and administrative worker areas.
- Education and training was the largest industry employer in 2017.
- Public administration and safety had a decrease of 43 jobs between 2017 and 2014.
- Training had an overall decrease in student numbers between 2016 and 2013, with the largest decrease of 22 in community services, health and education.
- General education and training had the largest increase in student numbers of 26.
- New training activity in 2016, sales and personal service, was delivered for seven students. This was not delivered in 2013 and 2010.
Read the full 2017 job profile report for Lajamanu.
Past job profiles
The community workplace planning guide consists of tools and resources to assist service providers to overcome workforce challenges in remote Aboriginal communities. Find out more about remote community workforce plans.
The community workplace planning guide can be used with the workforce planning template for Lajamanu . This template is populated with data from the 2014 remote town job profiles.
Last updated: 07 November 2018
Share this page:URL copied!