Workers' compensation

If you lose income or need treatment due to a workplace injury or illness, you can claim a workers' compensation payment from your employer.

If you are a Northern Territory Government (NTG) employee you can lodge a workers' compensation claim online through the Return to Work LaunchPad.

What you are covered for

You can make a workers' compensation claim for all of the following, no matter who is at fault:

  • missing wages due to sickness or injury
  • medical costs
  • workplace rehabilitation to return to work
  • permanent impairment.

For more information, go to the workers' compensation section of the NT WorkSafe website.

How to make a claim

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Tell your employer about your injury or disease.

Step 2. If your injury involves time off from work, ask your doctor for a statement of fitness for work, also known as a workers’ compensation medical certificate.

Step 3. Complete a workers' compensation claim form from the NT WorkSafe website.

Step 4. Submit the completed form and your statement of fitness for work if you have one, to your employer.

Step 5. Keep copies of all documents relating to your injury and claim.

It will help if you understand your employer's responsibilities.

Contact NT WorkSafe

You can contact NT WorkSafe for information about any of the following:

  • workers' compensation claims
  • permanent impairment
  • general advice about work health and safety in the NT.

Call NT WorkSafe on 1800 250 713 or email

Returning to work

Read about returning to work after injury or illness and workers' compensation payments.

Last updated: 10 November 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!