Cancel or refund your vehicle registration

Your car registration can be cancelled by:

  • the registered owner
  • an authorised agent acting on behalf of the registered owner.

Who can get a refund

If you cancel your light vehicle registration you may be able to get a refund for the unused part of it.

Refunds are calculated on the number of whole months remaining.

You can apply for a refund if you have at least one full month of unused registration before the expiry date.

A cancellation fee is payable and will be deducted from any refund.

How to apply for a refund

To apply for a refund follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the registration refund form PDF (352.7 KB).

Step 2. Return the vehicle's number plates with the registration refund form to the MVR.

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.