Cancel or refund your vehicle registration

Your car registration can be cancelled by:

  • the registered owner
  • an authorised agent acting on behalf of the registered owner.

Who can get a refund 

If you cancel your car registration you may be able to get a refund for the unused part of it.

Refunds are calculated on the number of whole months remaining. 

One full month is deducted from the refund amount plus a cancellation fee.

You can apply for a refund if you have at least two full months of unused registration before the expiry date.

How to apply for a refund

To apply for a refund follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the registration refund form (281.8 kb).

Step 2. Submit the form to the MVR.

Step 3. Return the vehicle's number plates with the registration refund form to the MVR.

Last updated: 03 August 2017