Apply for NT evidence of age card

The evidence of age card is a form of identification accepted in the Northern Territory (NT).

You can use it for:

  • general identification if you don't have a driver licence or passport
  • age-restricted activities, such as buying alcohol, or entering a licensed premises.

It expires five years after issue.

Who can apply

You can apply for this card if you are:

  • a Northern Territory (NT) resident
  • aged 18 and over.

NT Concession Scheme cardholders can get a free evidence of age card every five years.

How to apply

To apply, follow the steps below.

To apply for your first evidence of age card, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application for evidence of age card form PDF (244.0 KB).

Step 2. Collect supporting documents for evidence of your identity and residency.

If you change your name or your supporting documents are in a different name, you must also provide evidence of an official name change.

Step 3. Submit the form with supporting documents in person at an MVR office.

Step 4. Pay the fee by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.

When applying for a new card, you must fill in the application for evidence of age card form.

You must have a current photo taken by MVR before your evidence of age card will be issued.

If your photo was taken more than five years ago

To be issued a new card, you will need to get your photo taken and pay the fee at an MVR Office.

If your photo was taken within the past five years

You can request a new card by email or mail.

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application for evidence of age card form PDF (244.0 KB).

Step 2. Submit your form by emailing

You can also mail to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Step 3. Pay the fee:

  • with a cheque or money order
  • by calling the MVR and paying by Visa or MasterCard - once MVR has received your form.

After you apply

Your card will be sent to your recorded postal address.

When you receive your card, you must check if all the details are correct.

If there are any errors, you must contact MVR as soon as possible.

If you change your name or want a new photo, you must apply for a new card through the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) office.

If your card gets lost, damaged or stolen, you can get a replacement card if you pay the fee.

Changes to the card

In November 2020, changes were made to the evidence of age card.

Below is a sample of the new design.

New evidence of age card - front view design New evidence of age card - back view design


If you have any questions, email

Last updated: 21 January 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!