Get your heavy vehicle licence

Apply for heavy rigid licence - HR

To apply for a heavy rigid (HR) licence, you must:

  • hold a current Northern Territory (NT) driver licence
  • have held a:
    • class C driver licence for at least 2 years
    • light or medium rigid (MR) licence for at least one year
  • learn to drive an HR vehicle from a driver who holds the same or higher heavy vehicle (HV) licence.

If you meet this eligibility, follow the steps below.

You must pass one of the following:

You must pass one of the following:

The vehicle you use must be a rigid vehicle with at least 3 axles and:

  • not being an unladen prime mover
  • a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of at least 15 tonnes
  • be loaded to at least 75% of the GVM.

During your assessment, a camera will record the front of your vehicle as well as the inside.

Your examiner must keep this recording for 6 months and MVR may request a copy at any time.

You must pass an eyesight test at one of the following:

This does not apply to you if you have already passed one for an MR licence.

You can apply in person, by email or mail. You must provide:

  • one of the following:
    • statement of attainment and final competency assessment form
    • competency test form
  • eyesight test report from a health professional - if applicable.

In person

To apply in person, follow these steps:

Step 1. Go to an MVR office with your supporting documents.

Step 2. Pay your licence fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.

By email or mail

To apply by email or mail, you must pay by Visa or MasterCard.

By email

To apply by email, follow these steps:

Step 1. Email your supporting documents to

Step 2. Pay your licence fee over the phone by calling MVR on 1300 654 628.

By mail

To apply by mail, follow these steps:

Step 1. Mail your supporting documents to Motor Vehicle Registry, GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801.

Step 2. Pay your licence fee over the phone by calling MVR on 1300 654 628.

After you apply

Once your application has been processed, you will get a receipt as your authority to drive.

You must have this with you when driving until you receive your driver licence card.

It will be mailed to the address shown on your receipt.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 November 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!