Commercial passenger vehicle licence - H endorsement: apply or renew

All commercial passenger vehicle drivers need an H endorsement on their Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.

This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card.

Before you apply or renew

To apply for your H endorsement

You must meet all of the following:

  • be at least 18 years and six months old
  • hold a current NT open (not provisional) driver licence for the type of vehicle you want to drive
  • complete the online national police certificate form (for the stated purpose of H endorsement) supplied by Screening Assessment for Employment Northern Territory (SAFE NT) and dated within three months
  • provide a current medical assessment supplied by a medical practitioner for the purpose of driving a commercial passenger vehicle
  • be able to read and write in the English language
  • pass a theory test on commercial passenger vehicles
  • be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a current working visa.

To renew your H endorsement

Your driver licence renewal notice will show which documents you may need at the time of renewal.

These can include all of the following:

  • a new medical assessment for fitness to drive
  • a completed online national police certificate form supplied by SAFE NT dated within three months
  • current Australian residency or citizenship or current working visa.

How to apply for or renew your H endorsement


You can renew your H endorsement in person at an MVR office.

New applicants: theory test

New applicants must pass the hire and reward knowledge theory test relating to commercial passenger vehicle requirements in the NT. The test can be done at any MVR office. No bookings are necessary.

A test fee applies for each attempt of the hire and reward knowledge theory test.

The hire and reward knowledge test is based on information found in the following acts, regulations, codes of conduct and general road rules below: 

Commercial passenger (road) transport actCommercial passenger mini bus regulationsCommercial passenger (miscellaneous) regulations
Motor vehicle (hire car) regulationsPassenger bus regulationsTourist vehicle regulations
Taxis regulationsLimousine regulationsCourtesy vehicle regulations
Special function vehicle regulationsMotor omnibus regulationsTaxi and mini bus code of conduct

NT road user's handbook

All of the above legislation can be found at the NT legislation database. Before taking the theory test you can do a practice knowledge test online.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 27 June 2017