Commercial passenger vehicle licence - H endorsement: apply or renew
All commercial passenger vehicle drivers need an H endorsement on their Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.
This endorsement is also necessary for anyone wanting to hold a commercial passenger vehicle identity (CPVID) card.
Before you apply or renew
To apply for your H endorsement
You must meet all of the following:
- be at least 18 years and six months old
- hold a current NT open (not provisional) driver licence for the type of vehicle you want to drive
- complete the online national police certificate form(for the stated purpose of H endorsement) supplied by Screening Assessment for Employment Northern Territory (SAFE NT) and dated within six weeks
- provide a current medical assessment supplied by a medical practitioner for the purpose of driving a commercial passenger vehicle
- be able to read and write in the English language
- pass a theory test on commercial passenger vehicles
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a current working visa.
To renew your H endorsement
Your driver licence renewal notice will show which documents you may need at the time of renewal.
These can include all of the following:
- a new medical assessment for fitness to drive
- a completed online national police certificate form supplied by SAFE NT dated within six weeks
- current Australian residency or citizenship or current working visa.
How to apply for or renew your H endorsement
You can renew your H endorsement in person at an MVR office.
New applicants: theory test
New applicants must pass the hire and reward knowledge theory test relating to commercial passenger vehicle requirements in the NT. The test can be done at any MVR office. No bookings are necessary.
A test fee applies for each attempt of the hire and reward knowledge theory test.
The hire and reward knowledge test is based on information found in the following acts, regulations, codes of conduct and general road rules below:
|Commercial passenger (road) transport act||Commercial passenger mini bus regulations||Commercial passenger (miscellaneous) regulations|
|Motor vehicle (hire car) regulations||Passenger bus regulations||Tourist vehicle regulations|
|Taxis regulations||Limousine regulations||Courtesy vehicle regulations|
|Special function vehicle regulations||Motor omnibus regulations||Taxi and mini bus code of conduct|
|NT road user's handbook|
Only one test can be attempted each day. If you don't pass the test, you must wait until the next working day to sit the test.