Aviation and airports
The Northern Territory (NT) Government is responsible for developing aviation policy, supporting the development of domestic and international air service routes, and off-airport land use planning in the NT.
The government also provides funding support for 70 regional and remote aerodromes throughout the Territory.
The Australian Government is responsible for all of the following:
- air safety
- aviation carrier liability
- bilateral air services agreements
- publicly owned airports that are leased to private operators
- on-airport planning of leased airports
- building and environmental clearances
- financial assistance for remote air services and aerodromes.
To find out more, go to the Australian Government's aviation website.
To read more about NT aviation policy and development, go to the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics website.
Find out more about NT airports:
- Darwin Airport
- Alice Springs Airport
- Katherine Airport
- Gove Airport
- Tennant Creek Airport
- Groote Eylandt Airport.
For more information about remote aerodromes, contact the department on 08 8999 4854.
Flying and the Patient Assistance Travel Scheme
Find out more about the Patient Assistance Travel Scheme.
Last updated: 13 February 2021
Share this page:URL copied!