Drink and drug driver education course

If you lose your licence because of drink or drug driving, you must complete the Back on Track approved drink and drug driver course before you can reapply for a Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.

The course is made up of four mandatory three-hour sessions. You must complete the full three hours of each session.

What units you need to study

The course units you will need to do will depend on:

  • the offence you were convicted of - drink or drug driving
  • the blood alcohol concentration you were convicted of - for drink driving offences
  • if it was your first offence.

Convicted drug-driving offenders need to complete unit 1 only.

The table below tells you which course units you need to do.

OffenceBlood alcohol content (BAC)First offenceSubsequent offences
Driving under the influence (DUI)

Any level

Unit 1 Units 1 and 2
Low range 0.05% to 0.08% N/A N/A
Medium range 0.08% to 0.15% Unit  1 Units 1 and 2
High range 0.15% and above Units 1 and 2 Units 1 and 2
only where a second offence is committed within three years of a first offence for high-range drink-driving
Refusing to give breath sample Any level Units 1 and 2 Units 1 and 2

Course conditions

Conditions that apply to participants during the course will be discussed with you at the time of booking. You will be asked to sign a contract to show that you understand and agree to attend with these conditions.

Breath testing

You will be breath tested each day of the course and must return a 0.0% reading. If you record any reading above 0.0% you will have to rebook another course.

After you have finished the course

After you have successfully completed the program, you will need to take your certificate of completion to the MVR to regain your driver licence. Read how to renew your driver licence.

How to apply

To register in the Back on Track drink and drug driver course, contact a course provider in your area from the list below.

You will need to pay to attend the course. The provider can tell you how much the course will cost and when payment needs to be made.

You should contact a provider as early as possible, as it can take several months to book a place.

Darwin, Palmerston, Tiwi Islands, Katherine, Victoria Daly region, Roper Gulf region, West Arnhem and East Arnhem regions In Gear Australia

0413 198 025

0421 678 512



Darwin, Palmerston, Tiwi Islands, Katherine, Victoria Daly region, Roper Gulf region, West Arnhem and East Arnhem regions Eagle Training Services NT08 8953 5932 info@eagletraining.com.au
Darwin and Palmerston EASA 08 8941 1752easadarwin@easa.org.au
Katherine, Victoria Daly and Roper Gulf regions, West Arnhem and West Daly regions EASA 08 8941 1752easadarwin@easa.org.au
Alice Springs, Central Desert and MacDonnell regions Drug and Alcohol Services Association Inc. (DASA) 08 8952 8412admin@dasa.org.au
Tennant Creek and Barkly regions Drug and Alcohol Services Association Inc. (DASA)08 8952 8412admin@dasa.org.au
Alice Springs, Central Desert and MacDonnell regions Central Australian Driving School

08 8955 0444

0429 937 179

Daly River, Palumpa, Peppimenarti and Wadeye Sue Billet, CatholicCare NT08 8978 2515 sue.billett@catholiccarent.org.au
Bathurst Island and Melville Island Tiwi Island Training and Employment Board08 8941 5988 reception@titeb.com
Willowra, Lajamanu and Nyirrpi Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education1800 677 095 enquiries@batchelor.edu.au

If you don't speak English well

If English is not your first language, advise the course provider who will discuss interpreter service options with you.


To find a course available near you, contact a course provider from the list above.

To find out what course units you need to complete, contact an MVR office or email drivesafe.nt@nt.gov.au with your name, and phone number or email address.

Last updated: 03 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.