You can be given a court order to install an alcohol ignition lock in your vehicle if you're found guilty of repeat drink-driving and your disqualification period is less than five years.

You will be considered a repeat drink driver if you have at least one prior conviction for drink driving.

Prior convictions for drink driving include:

  • driving with a high range blood alcohol content (blood alcohol concentration of 0.15% or greater)
  • driving with a medium range blood alcohol content (blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or greater, but less than 0.15%)
  • driving under the influence of alcohol or a drug or both alcohol and a drug
  • failing to provide a sufficient sample of breath for a breath analysis
  • failing to give a sample of blood for analysis
  • driving with alcohol in the blood if the driver is subject to a zero alcohol limit.

Step-by-step process to your alcohol ignition lock order

Step 1. The court gives you a mandatory disqualification period for drink driving.

Step 2. The court gives you an alcohol ignition lock period of between six months to three years.

Step 3. Complete your disqualification period.

Step 4. You can then choose to:

Step 5. If you choose to get an alcohol ignition lock licence, you must complete the drink driver education course relevant to your offence.

Step 6. You must then get an alcohol ignition lock installed in your vehicle. You will have to pay all of the costs including installation, rental and regular and unscheduled services for your lock.

Step 7. You can apply for a low income subsidy or remote assistance to help pay your alcohol ignition lock costs. To find out how much you will have to pay or can claim read driver and rider licence fees.

Step 8. Your lock is installed. You need to learn how your alcohol ignition lock works.

Step 9. You must complete your lock period.

Step 10. You must pay all outstanding fees with the supplier and have the lock removed from your vehicle.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 November 2017