Get your motorbike licence


Follow this step-by-step guide to get your motorcycle licence in the Northern Territory.

You can't legally ride a motorbike without a valid rider licence. This is called an R class licence.

Stages to getting your R class licence

Stage 1: R class learner licence

You must hold a R class learner licence for at least six consecutive months immediately prior to your move to the next stage of the Class R licence. 

Stage 2: R class provisional licence or R class restricted licence

Provisional licence

You can apply for a provisional rider licence if you do not hold a licence of another class.

If you are under 25 years old you will be provisional for two years. If you are 25 years old or over you will be provisional for one year. 

Restricted licence

You can get a restricted rider licence if you already hold a full licence of another class - eg: C class driver licence.

You must hold the restricted rider licence for 12 months.

Stage 3: R class open

You can obtain your full open R class licence after completing your R class provisional or R class restricted licence period. 

Read more about rider licence classes and conditions.

Novice motorcycle rider

A novice motorcycle rider is a person who holds an R class learner, provisional or restricted licence. 

As a novice rider, you may only ride a motorcycle listed under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme. 

To get the list of approved motorcycles for novice riders go to the New South Wales Government's Roads and Maritime website.

Motorcycles not on the list can't be legally ridden by novice riders and there are no exemptions. 

Learner approved motorcycles have: 

  • a maximum power to weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne (kw/t).
  • and an engine capacity not exceeding 660 cubic centimetres (cc).

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 November 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.