Why talk with your child about sexuality
It’s important to talk with your child and give them accurate, balanced and clear information about sexuality and relationships - without fear, shame or guilt, and in ways that suit their age and development.
Talking positively and openly with your child about sexuality can help them to:
- trust they can talk with you about anything, including sexual matters
- strengthen their relationship with you
- keep safe from sexual abuse - it can help them to know what’s OK and not OK and that they can talk to you
- understand and cope with physical and emotional changes - eg: with puberty
- feel good about themselves and their bodies
- make healthier and safer choices when it comes to sexual behaviours and relationships
- challenge stereotypes about boys and girls - and cope if they don’t fit usual boy/girl ‘types’
- understand appropriate and inappropriate behaviour.