Advisory council on multicultural affairs
The Minister's Advisory Council on Multicultural Affairs in the Northern Territory (NT) is known as MACMA.
The council provides a voice for the multicultural community on issues of interest, and provides high level and strategic advice to the government to improve policy outcomes.
The council is made up of multicultural community volunteers and representatives from relevant organisations.
The key roles for members are to:
- advise the relevant minister on matters that are of interest or emerging issues facing the multicultural community
- explore and discuss how the needs of the community can be effectively met by service providers, so that members of the multicultural community can fully participate in all aspects of life in the NT
- direct specific tasks to the relevant working groups, to address issues such as employment and community safety
- consider issues that the relevant minister may refer to the MACMA for advice.
- meet at a minimum of twice a year.
MACMA is chaired by the Minister for Multicultural Affairs.
Operational requirements can be delegated to a nominated member.
MACMA members may co-chair a working group that will be tasked to coordinate and develop outcomes to address issues in the multicultural community.
You can submit an expression of interest to become a member of MACMA.
To apply, fill in the online form.
Participation on MACMA is voluntary. Travel and accommodation costs to attend meetings are covered for participants from regional areas of the NT.
Criteria considered for membership include:
- knowledge of the issues affecting the NT’s multicultural community
- involvement in the multicultural community
- skills and qualifications
- contribution to MACMA as a community representative
- a referee who can support your application for membership.
You should commit to attend all MACMA meetings.
Members who miss two consecutive meetings will be requested in writing to resign from MACMA unless there are extenuating circumstances. They will be replaced with the appointment of another member.
There will be a short reserve list of potential members who could be called to join MACMA to replace outgoing members.
Last updated: 22 October 2020
Share this page: