Cancer and remote residents

This page has information for remote residents about cancer.

You can get help near your home, or you may need to go to a hospital for treatment.

To find out more about cancer, read a cancer journey flipbook.

Tests for cancer

There are some tests you can do in your community that may be able to tell you if you have certain types of cancer. These are called screening tests.

They are different from tests your doctor might do if you have symptoms of cancer.

Breast screening

The BreastScreen mobile bus goes to some communities for women to have a breast screening.

Find out more about the BreastScreen mobile bus.

Bowel screening

If you are over 50 years old you can have a free bowel test. You can do this in your home.

Find out more about the bowel screening test.

Cervical screening

The renewed National Cervical Screening Program will start on 1 May 2017. The human papillomavirus (HPV) screening test will become available on the Medicare Benefits Schedule and be recorded through the National Cancer Screening Register. This will replace the Pap test.

All women aged between 25 and 74 years, both HPV vaccinated and unvaccinated, should have an HPV test every five years.

Find out more about cervical screening or go to the Australian Government Department of Health's National Cervical Cancer Screening Program website.

Being diagnosed and treatment

If you are diagnosed with cancer you will have to travel to hospital in Darwin or Alice Springs to see a doctor who will plan your treatment.

Depending on your cancer, you may need to have treatment at the Royal Darwin Hospital or the Alan Walker Cancer Care Centre in Darwin.

It is normal to feel frightened or scared when going to hospital.

There are Aboriginal liaison officers, Aboriginal health workers and interpreters there to help you feel comfortable.

Go to cancer services in the NT to find out more about cancer.

Last updated: 23 April 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!