Mental health court orders and prison

Northern Territory Mental Health Line: 1800 682 288

If you are before a court or serving a prison sentence and need treatment for mental illness or mental disturbance, you may be admitted to hospital. 

Almost all hospital admissions, including voluntary admissions, are to the secure Joan Ridley Unit in Darwin. 

If you are in prison you can also be placed on a community management order.

You have the same rights and responsibilities as any other patient admitted to hospital except you are not free to leave, and may have additional security agreed by the Mental Health Services and Correctional Services.

For mental health support and advice call the Northern Territory mental health line: 1800 682 288.

Last updated: 12 May 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!